St. Anne's Home, St. Louis, MO
Archives of the Daughters of Charity, Province of St. Louise
View finding aid at owning institution
View finding aid in Portal display
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Scope and Content Manuscripts, Reports and Registers, History, Correspondence, Financial, Publications, Photos, Artifacts
Background St. Anne's Home was founded in 1853 as the Biddle Infant Asylum. It was funded by St. Louis philanthropist Ann Biddle, and she and Archbishop Kenrick asked the Daughters of Charity to staff the institution. In 1858, the asylum merged with another Biddle-funded, Daughters of Charity-administered institution. This was St. Anne's Home, which took care of older widows. The combined institution adopted the name of St. Anne's Home. In the late 19th century, St. Anne's developed a maternity hospital. By the 1940's, it included a nursing home, orphanage, maternity hospital, and foster care services. In 1940, maternity care was limited to unmarried women, since more and more married women were using larger general hospitals for delivery. Due to changes in the adoption and foster care system, the orphanage closed in 1955, and St. Anne's continued as a nursing home. It was brought under the management of DePaul Hospital in 1969 and moved to the new hospital campus in Bridgeton in 1975, where it became known as Anna House
4 Boxes, 1.5 linear feet